Register now!

Resend Activation Email
T-Shirts & More
Navigation
Buy Phantom

Phantom T-shirts & Gifts

Buy The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - UK
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - US

For more Phantom of the Opera books, CDs and films, visit the Phantom Fan Store.

In association with Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

Recent news
Sponsor links

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic    Register To Post

(1) 2 3 »

Best Seats in the House! (Various different theatres, make it clear which one you refer to)
protege
I thought this might be an interesting topic for anyone looking to go see the phantom on stage!

I was looking to get seats at the majestic theater, where is the best place to sit? How close is too close?

I've sat in the front mezzanine, as well as the second row in the orchestra (these seats were way too close and I couldn't see the stage floor :( ) I have the choices of row D, N and Q in the orchestra. Which would be the best choice?

Title edited by Jennie

Posted on: 2 Oct 2008 0:16

Edited by Jennie on 29 Sep 2010 16:09:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Best Seats in the House!

I would vote for N. Not too close (where you can see the mics and things like that, it kind of ruins the magic) and it's not too far.

Because when I saw the show, I don't remember what row we were in, but we were sort of under the balcony so when the phantom is above the stage during Il Muto and AIAOY reprise you can't see him. And you know you want to see the phantom. I had to keep leaning forward to look under the balcony to see him. I believe Q is something like that, but its one of the first rows under there shouldn't even be that bad.

I'd still go with N. But that's just me. When I go again I really want Front Mezzanine, but really, I'm not picky.

Posted on: 2 Oct 2008 1:00
Se passi il ponte fra noi due...

When I saw it, I sat in row D (fourth row), and they were ok seats, except we were seats 4 and 5 in from the right side, so we couldn't see the mirror scene at all, but aside from that it was ok, not great, but ok. I vote row N.

Posted on: 2 Oct 2008 1:37

I liked K quite a lot. I think anything behind it and the chandelier is obscured once it's at the very top, not that it makes much of a difference as I eventually realized.

I would also suggest getting seats that are either to middle or to left. The blocking does not favor the seats on the extreme right.

And if you sit around row E on the left, there's a great chance you'll get a gun pointed at you. And that rocks.

Posted on: 2 Oct 2008 8:32

http://viscountess.tumblr.com/
http://viscountess-vesper.deviantart.com

Row D.

The mezzanine begins to overhang the orchestra starting at row H, so the farther back you go the more that will be obscured. Best seats in the house are probably Front Mezz row A, after that I'd say row D-F of the Orchestra. The stage is low, so the floor of it won't be blocked. My preference was to always sit as close as possible, so I would tend to be in Orchestra row AA.

Posted on: 3 Oct 2008 2:32

What are people's opinions on left orchestra row H, seats somewhere in there, tending more towards the left of the row? We are trying to get discount tickets for a certain date and that seems to be the bets option. Any comments on this? For some of us, it's the first time, so I want to make sure that the stage is completely visable.

Posted on: 10 Nov 2008 18:45

I remember sitting in Row k and even then the chandelier at it's highest wasn't obscured by the mezzanine (But even then, you'll forget all about that once the overture ends) so that should be just fine. None of the stage will be blocked (at least from what I remember, since H is farther back, there's even less of a chance I'm wrong.

Basically, those are very good seats. Not so close that you have to keeping looking back and forth during Hannibal and Masquerade.

Posted on: 10 Nov 2008 19:25

When I went and saw it at the Majestic I was in the left orchestra, first seat. It was amazing! Not only are you closer to the stage than the middle orchestra, but I was right in front of the actors when they ddi the big kiss. It was quite a memorable night :)

Posted on: 10 Nov 2008 23:11

Seats...bought!
Thanks, Viscountess and ChristineDaaePhan. I wasn't sure about the seats, because I've only been there twice and was once in the mezzanine and once in the very front orchestra. I liked the front orchestra, but couldn't really see the Phantom well when he randomly appeared at the top of the stage and bitched at everyone.

And for anyone who's wondering about seats, this image helped me a lot.
http://www.shubertorganization.com/im ... es/majestic/theatre_1.jpg
It's the interior of the Majestic Theater. You can judge where your seats are by looking at the regular seating chart and comparing it to this image, and then you get a sort of idea of how close/far away your seats are, where the mezzanine is, how high up, etc. I found it helpful.

Posted on: 12 Nov 2008 19:24

despite paula saying boxes were a bit naff, I found the rar box on the right hand side to be a good view at $60-odd.

Posted on: 12 Nov 2008 19:27

Quote:

bournephantom wrote:
despite paula saying boxes were a bit naff, I found the rar box on the right hand side to be a good view at $60-odd.
It's funny how so many people say the box seats are bad. Is it because they're too far over to the extreme left and right?

I'm not to crazy about any seats too far to to the right, the blocking definitely favors the left side during scenes like the Final Lair and Notes II/Twisted Every Way. But two great things about the right is that you have the most incredible view of Christine everyday dress on a mannequin behind her dressing room door and Christine doesn't block the cape swish (And she's blocked almost every single time I've been anywhere near the left.)

Sorry I forgot to mention that little ditty, but it's not a big deal unless you're totally fascinated by the Phantom taking off his cape. Like I am.

Posted on: 12 Nov 2008 20:10

Edited by Viscountess on 12 Nov 2008 20:43:44

My personal opinion is anywhere under the chandelier. It depends from theater where the chandelier is though and I don't know much about the seating in any theaters except my local ones.

I might've told this story on here before, but I'll tell it again. When I first time I saw Phantom of the Opera I sat under the chandelier, but I didn't know it would fell at the end of the second act. Then when that part came it scared the crap out of me and made it very memorable and my obsession.

Moral of my story: If you are bringing someone who is unfamiliar with the story, then get seats under the chandelier and watch their face when it falls 3 feet over their head.

Posted on: 13 Nov 2008 19:10

Quote:

Nymphomaniac wrote:
I might've told this story on here before, but I'll tell it again. When I first time I saw Phantom of the Opera I sat under the chandelier, but I didn't know it would fell at the end of the second act. Then when that part came it scared the crap out of me and made it very memorable and my obsession.
Unless you're talking about Vegas, the chandleier falls in the first act.

Quote:
Moral of my story: If you are bringing someone who is unfamiliar with the story, then get seats under the chandelier and watch their face when it falls 3 feet over their head.
That trick works anywhere but the theatre that's the subject of this thread. Their chandelier falls at THE slowest rate. Though if you're in vegas, chandlier seats are like "Oh, cool... the chandelier's going to fall now. This the ultimate phan experian- HOLY SHIT I'M GOING TO DIE!!!"

Posted on: 13 Nov 2008 20:15

I think Nymphomaniac meant thefirst act. :)

I definetly agree about sitting beneath or near the chandilier, which ussually situates you about five or six rows back, they were fantastic seats. Though I've sat quite a bit on the far right before, close to the back before and found the seats quite good... but that might just be my theatre.

Auckland civic tip, don't sit at the very front of the balcony (can't see a thing), the stalls are generally best where-ever due to it being wider then longer, closer the better. Oh and they don't run the twilight sequence and have removed the lions... if anyone really cares about lil old Kiwiland 0.-

Posted on: 13 Nov 2008 23:39

the box i was in gave a very good view of the whole show, nothing was missed due to position.

Best seats I've ever had to phantom was A9&10 in the Grand Circle at HMT, which i got for about 25 pounds. Superb view at dropped prices, so if you every see phantom in london i'd suggest going in the grand circle since it's a lot cheaper and the view is, for my opinion, better in the lower central section than in equivalent stall seats.

Posted on: 14 Nov 2008 19:39

I would say D, depends on where it is. The best seat though, and I still love it, is Row BB Center. Especially when sold for $50. I remember the All I Ask of You Reprise, staring up at Howard. He spewed a whole lot of spit...as usual. I got a little wet. Maybe not him, but still eww. I liked it because I could see every detail. I did not think it was to close, because the floor never appeals to me. I like the dry ice coming across my face hazing me into the lair. I felt like I was in the play. Masquerade has more energy too.

Now on another note, I like aisle seats for special nights when I have flowers for somebody. Bur every since Michael left, I have no need for that.

Posted on: 15 Nov 2008 11:24

ballet rat
Hi everyone, going to see POTO in New York in March. Can get seats row B Left Orch on the aisle, row P center orch on aisle or row A front mezz on the aisle. We have never seen the show so what would you experts recommend?

Posted on: 5 Jan 2009 10:07

Quote:

phantomnewbie wrote:
Hi everyone, going to see POTO in New York in March. Can get seats row B Left Orch on the aisle, row P center orch on aisle or row A front mezz on the aisle. We have never seen the show so what would you experts recommend?

Having seen it in NYC from about a dozen different areas of the theatre, I'd avoid Orch Center Row P. I sat in that area once and a brilliant performance was badly marred by the fact that the mezzanine overhangs those rows and cuts off the view of the Phantom on the angel at the end of Act I, Red Death's entrance, and a few other bits.

Row B Left Orch is fine, though for a first time, I really would recommend that front mezzanine. You can see the whole of the stage and all the action in one glance, but are still close enough that the features and expressions of the actors aren't a dull blur.

Posted on: 7 Jan 2009 12:25

Generally speaking, in most theaters, how close is too close? It's very possible that I'm going to be going with a lot of people, some of which like to be AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the stage, for every show they go to.. I'm not sure I want to be in the first few rows (or do I?), but I don't want to be in the effing nose-bleed seats, either.

Although.. It'd be nice to be like.. ON THE STAGE, right? Just sitting in the middle of the stage, doing nothing except drooling at the performers.

Anywhoo, how close is too close?

Posted on: 22 Apr 2009 18:40

ballet rat
I have sat in the 4th row and it was perfect but i couldn't sitting any closer. I could feel the heat from the fire and the moisture from the mist on the lake. My sister and I were terrified of being under the chandelier but it fell so slow

Posted on: 29 Apr 2009 23:09

Edited by YourObedientServant on 29 Apr 2009 23:11:50

• Guest_
  • I don't remember exactly what row it was I sat in when we went to see Phantom. The best description I can give is it was the row right in front of the balcony, kind of towards the middle. We had a really good view of everything going on onstage, but I wished we'd have sat under the chandelier. We did get to see it go up again. (My best friend and I stayed in our seats during intermission. Cool!)
    P.G.7.

Posted on: 2 May 2009 14:04

I was in the third row back once, and that was Amazing! I could practially touch the chandelier as it went up, and when Erik was hanging of the statue of Appolo he was right above me!! Also you could see all the expressions so well from being so close. The only bad thing about these seats was that it was quite hard to see all the detail on the lake scene. Also i could see the entire band below, and the composer was in the way a lot lol.

Posted on: 2 May 2009 15:15

I am going to see Phantom on Broadway at the Majestic theatre this summer. I've never seen Phantom on stage before, and I've only been to Broadway once, so I'm not sure at all which seats to get. I've heard people say center is best, left, right, close up, farther back. What would be best for a party of four? My friend and I are avid Phantom phans and as this is our first time seeing it on stage I want.....well, the best! Seats are running out quickly, so I've got to get my tickets soon!

EDIT: The only seats available are these:

-Orchestra: Row AA seats 1-7
    -Front Mezzanine: Row C seats 109-112
    Which is better??????????

EDIT again:
    On a different date, the following are also available:
    -Orchestra: Row B seats 109-112
    -Front Mezzanine: Row A seats 105-108

Posted on: 16 May 2009 0:26

Edited by *OperaKitten* on 16 May 2009 0:39:18
    Edited by *OperaKitten* on 16 May 2009 0:48:12

Signature Hangman:
    "It's not my birthday, and I haven't been good..."

Guessed by Cathrine Daae!

Quote:

*OperaKitten* wrote:
    EDIT: The only seats available are these:

-Orchestra: Row AA seats 1-7
    -Front Mezzanine: Row C seats 109-112
    Which is better??????????

Well, I'll tell you the advantages of disadvantages of both.

Orchestra Row AA: Definately better if you want the sort of full phantom "effect." The chandelier will be very close at one point to you, and you will be very close-up to all the fancy action going on, like the fire part. It's quite engaging and thrilling.
    Of course, some people feel "too close." When I went, I was in Row A, which is about three rows back as AA and BB precede it. I really loved those seats, but my one complaint was there were certain parts of the show where the Phantom is above the stage and you can't see him in those rows. With a little optimism, however, you can always look at that as a plus, as it can make you really feel like an opera -goer having no clue where this mysterious Phantom is while he's laughing maniacally.

Front Mezzanine Row C: Coincidentially, I think I *was* in these seats. Wow, I've been very near or in both of your seat choices! This was for my first performance. It was very good as you got to see the "whole picture." You could see what everyone was doing at all times, since you were further away.
    It might feel a little less intimate though; I really thought the chandelier being above me was great.

So, in my opinion you should get the orchestra seats, unless you don't like being too close to shows.

Any questions, feel free to PM me!

**although in response to your second edit, Row A mezzanines are always fantastic. You can see the whole show from above, it's really great.

Posted on: 16 May 2009 0:58

Edited by A New Margarita on 16 May 2009 1:02:16

Hmm, looking at a seating chart, AA is front row, and 1-7 would be fairly far off to the left(Left of the aisle), I wouldn't go for those, especially not for first time. Front row is really more 'I've seen this before so it's OK if I don't see everything'. I saw it at a different theatre, but I was in the front row, in the middle section off to the right a bit rather than off on the sides, and there were some things I couldn't see at all. On the other hand being that close can be pretty exciting if you don't mind the difficulty of seeing some things. (Though most of the stuff I found amusing having right in my face was more towards where I was sitting than where you would be... It made Masquerade nice and exciting, but the blocking for that has the final part on the right.)

I'd go with the second date you posted. B is 4th row and those are in the centre section, so it might work OK except for what ANM posted about the Phantom being above the stage. I'd honestly go for the front mezzanine row A ones though, they're close to the middle and you'd be able to see everything from there and get a better feel for what's going on rather than being too focused on any one area.

Hard to say, though. Being close is pretty darned fun.

(Or go for Mezzanine C on the first date and Orchestra B on the second date if you can swing it. ;) You can never see Phantom too many times. *evil*)

Posted on: 16 May 2009 2:58

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
    (1) 2 3 »

Register To Post

[Advanced Search]